The Circus District is now on Patreon! Choose a monthly membership option to bring the DMV’s online circus to life with articles, panel discussions, an updated jobs/gigs page, and more targeted support for students, professionals and enthusiasts alike.
- The Bindlestiff Open Stage Variety Show: Quarantine Edition is back! Behold the marvelous talents of a worldly cast of performers, presented weekly for your entertainment (and generous tips). The show starts at 8 p.m. EDT. Watch on Facebook or YouTube. You can donate during the show at the links provided, or support their fantastic feats of circus anytime via the donation page on their website.
- Social Activism: Art as Agent for Change, a discussion about the power of the arts in the battle against Covid-19 and systemic racism, starts at 7 p.m. EDT on fb.com/umdcpsarts or fb.com/mlawprograms. This talk is hosted by the University of Maryland through the College Park Scholars Art and Justice and Legal Thought. Speakers include director of undergraduate law Robert Koulish, artist and muralist Mas Paz, actor Jefferson Russell, Latin American art professor Dr. Abigail McEwan, and assistant director for community engagement (at The Clarice) Jane Hirshberg.
- The Portland Juggling Festival is going virtual this year, with workshops and a gala show featuring an international roster of teachers/performers including Neta & Gon, Jorge Vilchis, Poki McCorkle, Matt Hall, Taylor Glenn, Naomi Shafer, Anni Küpper, Bri Crabtree and more! Links for this Zoom event will appear on the Facebook event page. The event is free, but donations to the Portland Jugglers are encouraged.
- Search for Sumatra, a circus collective based in Vermont, is creating a show to raise money for POC youth to attend Circus Smirkus camp. This show, titled Manxome Foes, is based on the familiar tale of performers looking for an audience in a world where audiences are hard to find. It will be live streamed on October 2nd at 8:30 p.m. EDT. Fill out this Google form to donate and get the show link.
- Circus Squared is creating accessible circus education through one-to-one matching of 30-minute virtual lessons in circus, movement and theater. Starting with juggling lessons taught by me (Christian Kloc), this program is seeking Patreon sponsors as well as direct donors. Take a class, send one to a friend, or just donate to provide free classes/equipment to families who deserve circus joy in their lives! Choose your sponsorship level and start learning at this link.
If you’ve got a great online resource to recommend or a worthy cause to support, message us on Facebook or email your recommendation to email@example.com.