February has some great education and entertainment in store for us. Discover newfound abilities and your new favorite circus artists.
- Next Friday (2/12), enjoy a peek into the lives of our circus neighbors to the northwest (Seattle), part of a continuing article series highlighting local circus communities across North America. With each place we visit, you’ll feel more connected to the not-so-small circus ecosystems making a big dent in the knowledge and grace we need to move… forward? Upward? Sideways? It’s hard to say which way is up in 2021, but these folks have plenty of insight for the shared journey.
- The celebration of Verona, Pennsylvania’s 150th Anniversary is coming up in September. Organizers are currently seeking fire artists, stilt walkers, acrobats, aerialists, contortionists and other circus performers to do roaming entertainment (three performers for two hours) followed by a 30-minute stage show. The event will take place on a weekend in September, with the exact date dependingon performer availability. Contact Rhea (Rae-yuh) at email@example.com if you are interested in this opportunity or would like more information.
- Discover the world of A, a lonely clown quarantined on an old theater’s stage, in A.Lone, a one-man theater show produced by the Contemporary Circus and Immersive Arts Center out of Troy, NY. Get tickets to watch the production at this link (the stream is viewable for 72 hours once purchased).
- The Cirkopolis Circus Festival starts on this day. This free program from Prague, Czech Republic includes a a visionary juggling performance titled Collection of Sceptical Pleasures by Filip Zahradnický , live-streamed on YouTube on Monday at 2 p.m. EST. Watch at this link.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus presents Open Stage Quarantine Edition: Season 3 at 8 p.m. EST on Facebook and YouTube. Want to perform in future editions of this weekly show? Fill out their act submission form at this link.
February 5, 10 & 20
- Bill Irwin returns to your computer screen with his playful and inquisitive production of On Beckett/In Screen. Shows are February 5, 10 and 20. In this virtual show, Irwin utilizes his mastery of physical theater and his lifelong fascination with Samuel Beckett’s writings to great effect. This is a production of the Irish Repertory Theatre in New York City. Reserve free, donation-based tickets at this link.
February 12 and 13
- Witness an incredible collaboration between two Japanese artists, juggler Teruki Okamoto and dancer Chiharu Kuronuma, in I/O Double Bill: Dance & Juggling. This unique performance incorporates the performers’ expertise in computer programming, calligraphy, choreography and movement. Showtimes are Friday (2/12) at Midnight and Saturday (2/13) at 11 p.m. EST, with a 50-minute runtime. You can purchase the streamed performance as well as an archival recording at this link.
- Appeal to all five senses this Valentine’s weekend during My Synesthesia Valentine, which explores the many expressions of love through science, gastronomy, puppetry, music, poetry and more. This 8 p.m. streaming show is brought to you by the Once Virtual Venue of Somerville. Get pay-what-you-can tickets at this link.
- Discover the incredible talents of two dozen cyr wheel artists, competing in the Battle at the Brewery virtual edition. Your jaw will drop as you watch these skilled artists elevate the discipline. Watch for free at this link. You can vote for your favorite artist in the comments through the end of today (2/5).
- It’s been a little more than a year since the macabre musical clown duet Dr. Dour and Peach published the first episode of their webseries. Binge watch this clever, cackle-inducing six-episode series on YouTube right now.
- Get the 4-1-1 on how to host your own channel on Twitch with expert advice from Marvin Ong during this week’s edition of FlowShop. This 90-minute workshop will focus on how to build a following and connect to community on Twitch. RSVP at this link, where you’ll find the Zoom and Paypal links. The event is free, but donations of $5 to $25 are encouraged.
- ShellyFlex Athletics is offering a free online course in partner fitness and acrobatics, designed for couples, friends or roommates looking for a fun way to work out. This course is designed for all skill levels and body types. As this is a beta test, you will be asked to provide feedback and testimonials about your experience. Visit this link to apply for this course.
- Apply to circus school using the amazing resources provided by Connecting Circus Students Around the World (CSAW). Visit this link for an application master sheet, as well as information about CSAW’s Ambassador Initiative, which pairs prospective circus students with current student liaisons at circus schools around the world.