As we approach the last vestiges of summer, let’s look forward to some local circus shows and high-caliber online productions!
PRIDE ALL YEAR
- Matthew Richardson and X CIRCUS are currently presenting live-streamed circus shows spotlighting queer artists during their X CIRCUS Live Stream episodes on Sundays at 9 p.m. EDT. Watch episode four at this link.
- UpSpring Studio presents Summertime, an outdoor celebration of beach vibes set to an upbeat summer soundtrack at Joe’s Movement Emporium. Featuring new aerial choreography from local artists. Masks are required, and guests will be socially distant during the show. Get tickets at this link.
- The Fairfax Jugglers will are meeting on Thursdays from 7:30-10 p.m. at the Key Intermediate School Cafeteria (6402 Franconia Rd., Springfield, VA). All are welcome to join this fun and casual juggling meet-up, happening every Thursday that Fairfax County Schools are hosting evening activities. They will likely start the evening outdoors in nice weather, then migrate indoors to the school gym. Check out this map for specific location information.
- The DC Unicycle Meet-up will host unicycle hockey at Freedom Plaza from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Join the Meet-up group and RSVP at this link. They will also be a part of the DC Bike Ride on September 25 at West Potomac Park.
July 10 – August 8
- UniverSoul Circus is currently performing a run of shows at National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Md., with tickets available at this link. This high-energy cast of performers represents 28 years of Black-owned circus shows delighting audiences across the country. Hear from the company’s founder Cedric Walker in this 2017 interview by The Ringling.
July 30 – August 16
- Circus Hermanos Vazquez is celebrating its 50th Anniversary with a tour that will appear at Tysons through August 16. Get tickets at this link.
July 30-August 7
- Enjoy the Virtual Aerial Dance Festival, with workshops in aerial theory, dance, juggling, flexibility, creativity, pilates, improvisation, burlesque and more. There will also be panel discussions on a variety of topics including aging in aerial arts, implicit bias of BIPOCs in entertainment, intersectionality in aerial dance and circus, and aerial and motherhood. Register at this link.