- The American Circus Alliance is hosting an online workshop titled Employment Safety for First of Mays. This discussion is geared toward those who are new to the industry, but provides great advice for any working professional about signing good contracts, spotting inappropriate behavior by an employer, pre-empting bad experiences and finding external help in difficult situations. This session will be led by Elsie Smith (NECCA) and Polly Solomon (Young Adult Circus Arts Mentorship Program). Free registration is available at this link.
- The UMD Juggling Club will meet outdoors on McKeldin Mall from 4-6 p.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays. All are welcome to attend. Join the club’s Facebook group for updates throughout the semester.
- The Baltimore Jugglers will meet from 6:30-9 p.m. at the Locus Point Recreation Center. Assuming good weather, the gathering will begin outside and then head indoors when it gets dark. Join the Baltimore Jugglers page on Facebook for the most up-to-date information about future meetings.
- Battle Night continues to provide a haven for stylish and technical club juggling in a head-to-head format in their Mexican league. The third preliminary battle starts tonight at 9 p.m. EDT. Visit the Facebook page for the Zoom link, or view the competition on the Unicirclo Laguna YouTube channel. Most of the commentary/judging will be in Spanish, but the club juggling will be in universal club language. 🙂
September 18 – October 24
- The Maryland Renaissance Festival returns on Saturdays and Sundays, with the line-up of performers as stellar as always. Enjoy Fools O & LaLa, London Broil, the Hoop Enchantress, the Danger Committee and more at this completely outdoor event in Crownsville/Annapolis. Masks are recommended, and some independently owned vendors may require them at their stalls. Get tickets and check out this weekend’s schedule at this link.
- DC Art All Night is scheduled from 7 p.m.-Midnight. Enjoy live art activations in various neighborhoods of D.C. including Tenleytown, Dupont Circle, Shaw and more! The schedule is pending, but you can find me juggling in Tenleytown from 8-10 p.m. 😉 See the schedule here, or keep an eye on the website for updates.
- Pie Shop DC will once again host Pies ‘n Pasties, a delicious and dynamite line-up of local burlesque artists with a mission to amaze you and awaken your senses. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m. at 1339 H St NE. Get tickets at this link. Masks and proof of vaccination are currently required to attend this event.
- Urban Evolution is hosting a Community Jam for Charity from 4-8 p.m. EDT to support The Education Trust, which works to close opportunity gaps for low-income students and students of color. This event will be live-streamed, and viewers can redeem certain rewards (backflips, silks climbs, costumed foam pit jumps, etc.) by making donations. There is no admission fee, so apart from donations the event is free to view. Visit this link for more information.
- Snag a spot in the ShellyFLEX Athletics contortion, flexibility and handstand retreat at the DoubleTree Hilton in McLean, Virginia. Whether you want to increase your range of motion, improve your handstands or reach your contortion goals, Shelly has the winning combination of expert coaching and fun relaxation time to get you there. Visit this link to register. You may have to add yourself to the waitlist, but spots are still open!
- The Maryland Ensemble Theatre in Frederick is hiring for two positions: a development and community outreach manager and an audience services manager. Get more details and apply at this link.
September 17/18 & 24/25
- The Aerial Nerd Conference is a four-day, online exploration of all things aerial, covering sling, rope, hoop, fabric and more. Learn how to sequence your act, take care of your shoulders, and widen your hip key repertoire in these Zoom sessions, which will be available to you in a recording for three months following the event. Get tickets to individual sessions or buy a conference pass here.
- EdCon 2021, produced by American Circus Educators, will provide a full weekend of online learning and connection for circus educators. The line-up includes virtual presentations, workshops, discussions and social events. Visit this link to secure early bird registration by September 18. Attendees must be members of ACE or AYCO — membership is available at a sliding scale at the above link.
Photo circa 1949 from the National Archive (Fotocollectie Anefo) of the Netherlands. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Circus_Mikkenie._Acrobatiek,_Bestanddeelnr_903-4033.jpg