On screen, this weekend looks a little bit overwhelming with how many incredible events are happening — we recommend taking a short walk (or at least gazing out the window and taking a few deep breaths) in between the marvelous performances, panels and workshops at your fingertips!
- Rock out with your flow and juggling props during the Sunset & Chill Winter Wonder Jam from 8-10 p.m. DJs Shaft XXL and Luxe’n’Bass will keep you moving, spinning and shaking from home. Visit the Facebook event page for more information.
Tonight – Sunday (1/15-17)
- Club Congress 2021 will be hosting a stellar virtual line-up of workshops, performances, panels and community enlightenment, including the Battle Night championship. This club-focused online event includes beginner workshops, classes taught in Spanish, a femme-identifying juggler space, a gala show, and a performance by Unicirclo Laguna. Visit this link for the full schedule and Zoom links!
- Circus and Its Others presents Circus 2021: Adaptations + Possibilities Amid Covid-19, a free online panel/workshop with circus artists and scholars from around the world. This event starts at 10 a.m. on Zoom. Follow this link to get more information and to enter the Zoom room.
- You don’t want to miss the Battle Night Grand Championship, part of the virtual Club Congress festival and starting at 8:30 p.m. EST. This is the best-of-the-best showdown featuring jugglers from Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, El Salvador and the U.S., and YOU get to be a judge! Tune in by following this Zoom link or check it out on YouTube live.
- The diverse and family-friendly cast of of Omnium: A Bold New Circus is performing virtually throughout the month. Performers include aerialist Jen Bricker-Bauer, ringmaster Johnathan Lee Iverson, and animal trainer Jenny Vidbel. Get timed tickets at this link. If you are unable to donate, you can fill out their complimentary ticket request form.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus will present the Best of Ask Hovey: Season 2, a video montage of their circus history series with host Hovey Burgess from the second season of their open stage variety show, at 8 p.m. EST. Want to perform in Season 3, which starts on January 25? Fill out their act submission form at this link.
February 12 and 13
- Witness an incredible collaboration between two Japanese artists, juggler Teruki Okamoto and dancer Chiharu Kuronuma, in I/O Double Bill: Dance & Juggling. This unique performance incorporates the performers’ expertise in computer programming, calligraphy, choreography and movement. Showtimes are Friday (2/12) at Midnight and Saturday (2/13) at 11 p.m. EST, with a 50-minute runtime. You can purchase the streamed performance as well as an archival recording at this link.
- If you’re an independent contractor (pretty much any circus artist right now), estimated quarterly tax payments are due today (1/15). Need help? Check out Circus Hustle’s Crash Course in Circus Taxes and consider supporting more of Nina’s content, which includes very recent updates about the federal relief package, on Patreon. You can also explore the resources and classes provided by Hannah Cole of Sunlight Tax, which caters to artists and freelancers with approachable tax and financial advice.
- First-time applicants — as well as some returning borrowers — will be able to apply for the federal Paycheck Protection Program next week as the small business relief program restarts. This New York Times article answers your basic questions, including who is eligible, when to apply, and how the loan structure works. And don’t let the word ‘loan’ scare you — if you follow the rules of the program, these loans can be forgiven (or otherwise payable at a low interest rate over the course of five years).
- Apply to circus school using the amazing resources provided by Connecting Circus Students Around the World (CSAW). Visit this link for an application master sheet, as well as information about CSAW’s Ambassador Initiative, which pairs prospective circus students with current student liaisons at circus schools around the world.
- Did you miss some folks on your nice list, or simply decide to avoid overtaxing the postal service in 2020? We’ve made it easy to find fabulous books, apparel, photography and more in our Circus Gift Guide, which will remain up throughout the year for birthdays, holidays and self-imposed celebration days. Are we missing your creations on this list? Message us at email@example.com.