The weather might be cooling down, but opportunities to witness extraordinary feats of circus (or create your own world-class circus act) are heating up!
***Stay safe, and know before you go! Be sure to check out each venue’s Covid safety regulations prior to attending in-person events.
- Visit The Yards (301 Water Street SE) for the return of Side Yards, an evening of open-air performances featuring jugglers, magicians, contortionists, aerialists, fortune tellers and more! Their event page describes these talents as ‘unusual,’ but if you’ve lived in the DMV for a bit, you know these habits are the ‘predictably exquisite’ practices of our proudly bizarre circus community. Comedic aerial duo Forever Marzipan will be making an appearance, so don’t miss it! The event runs from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- If you’re ready for a salaciously stellar line-up of burlesque artists to excite and enchant you, look no further than That Sunday Show, presented by HoneyBee Burlesque at 6 p.m. at The Lodge in Boonsboro, Md. Performers include Bearcat Betty, Delilah Dentata, Lipstick Lamarr, and more! This show is for ages 21+. Get tickets at this link.
- UpSpring Studio presents In The Witch’s Woods, a heart-chilling tale of a lonely witch who uses magic to make friends. Catch their latest acts of sling, fabric and trapeze as you discover which mysterious characters inhabit the woods. This show is also part of a filmed production that will debut on December 5. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. at Joe’s Movement Emporium. Get tickets at this link.
- Omnium: A Bold New Circus will present a special performance at Gallaudet University‘s Elstad Auditorium at 4 p.m. While this circus’s tour at Tysons has been postponed, they are excited to share some of their talented performers on Sunday, including two deaf performers: Bailey Ann Vincent, a ballerina, and Anna Gichen, an acrobat and dancer. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in attending, as seats are limited.
November & December
- In the Dark Circus Arts is offering a new session of classes starting November 14 and running through late December. Offerings include Monday contortion classes on Zoom (email email@example.com to register) as well as in-person lessons in German wheel, cyr wheel, fabric, lyra and more. For in-person classes, register on the Mobtown Ballroom website. Note that some higher-level classes require instructor approval.
- The American Circus Alliance is hosting a joint workshop with ACE/AYCO about all things insurance — for circus schools, companies and individuals. The workshop will start at noon EST. Register for free at this link.
- Hamiltonian Artists will present a free virtual program titled Roadmap to O-1 Visas at 7 p.m. This workshop will tell you how to apply for an artist visa, which allows you to share your work with international audiences and broaden your artistic horizons. Register at this link.
- If you missed the Gold Over America Tour during its trek across the U.S., fear not! The show will be livestreamed at 4 p.m. EST. This show goes far beyond an exhibition of elite gymnastics, delving into themes of empowerment, social media, mental health and positive body image in a series of electrifying routines. Buy a general admission ticket for 24 hours of video playback, or purchase a VIP ticket for access to a chatroom with Simone Biles and others. Get tickets at this link.
- The Atlas Intersections Festival will return to H Street from February 24 to March 6, 2022, presenting an array of performances that explore the ideas and issues of our time. Categories include movement, sound, story and family performances. Apply by December 10 at 5 p.m. As a former producer of an Intersections show, I highly recommend this festival to anyone seeking an opportunity to mount their work in a circus-friendly environment that covers many of your major costs. View the application at this link.
- Circadium is now accepting applications for Fall 2022 students. Visit this link to fill out the application for this three-year program, designed to bolster your movement and performance skills and prepare you for a professional career in circus arts The deadline to apply is January 31, 2022.
- Circus artists who identify as persons of color living in the U.S. can now apply for CSAW‘s December $1,000 microgrant (deadline is Nov. 15). You can also consider applying for the upcoming tuition grant ($5,000), which can be used for any circus education related expenses. Find more information at this link.
- Local fire performer and entrepreneur Shavaun Hairston is currently seeking a Client Relationship Manager for her fire troupe Pyroxotic. If you’re interested, contact her through Pyroxotic’s website or through Shavaun’s Instagram page.
- In-person tickets to the 2021 Circadium Gala, happening from 7-10 p.m., are currently sold out, but you can still snag a virtual ticket (to view the live entertainment from the comfort of your own home) and participate in the online silent auction to support the first and only diploma-granting institution of higher education for circus artists in the United States. Visit this link to donate and get a virtual ticket.
- Jugglers and flow artists have been meeting semi-regularly at Malcolm X Park in DC on Sunday afternoons (around 4 p.m.). Send unofficial organizer Dzhoy a message on Instagram if you’re thinking about heading over.
- The Baltimore Jugglers will meet from 6:30-9 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of the month at Locust Point Recreation Center. Join the Baltimore Jugglers page on Facebook for the latest updates.
- The UMD Juggling Club will meet outdoors on McKeldin Mall or indoors in the Art/Sociology building from 4-6 p.m. on Wednesdays and Fridays. All are welcome to attend. Join the club’s Facebook group for updates throughout the semester.
- The Fairfax Jugglers will meet on Thursdays from 7:30-10 p.m. in the Key Middle School cafeteria. Visitors must wear masks and sign a liability waiver. If you would like to help with the club’s newly required insurance expenses, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo from the Palace of Wonders © 2008 by craig. https://flic.kr/p/4ZG1kf https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/