This weekend is chock-full of circus happenings, as well as opportunities to enjoy circus performances at your leisure. Read on!
- Read part three of The Covid Chronicles, proudly published on The District Ringer, your Patreon-sponsored circus-only news source. In this story, we visit aerial studio Monarca in Flight to learn how husbands Acoatzin Torres and B. Keith Ryder steered their business through the pandemic, despite Torres being out of the country just as the shutdown began.
- Battle Night USA kicks off at 8:30 p.m. EDT with eight competitors flexing their grooviest three-club juggling sequences in a breakdance-style head-to-head format. This amazing series of online battles is hosted by Unicirclo Laguna and Club Motion. Visit the Facebook page for the Zoom link, or view on the Unicirclo Laguna YouTube channel.
- The Creative Alliance presents the Black Artists Matter Virtual Show, streaming for free at 5 p.m. EDT at this link. Alongside acts of spoken word, music and dance, this show includes a live discussion about Black drag and burlesque performance featuring seasoned local performers Evon Michelle, Gigi Holliday, Bebe Bardot and Kayden Amore Chloe.
- Circus Harmony will perform their virtual show The Balancing Act: Walking the Pandemic Tightrope at 8 p.m. EDT. This show features Circus Harmony’s talented roster of performers sharing their circus acts (from home) for your entertainment. Tickets are free at this link, but donations are encouraged.
- The Bindlestiff Open Stage Variety Show: Quarantine Edition starts at 8 p.m. EDT. Behold the marvelous talents of a worldly cast of performers, presented weekly for your entertainment (and generous tips). Watch on Facebook or YouTube. You can donate during the show at the links provided, or support their fantastic feats of circus anytime via the donation page on their website.
- Search for Sumatra, a circus collective based in Vermont, is hosting an encore presentation of their show Manxome Foes at 7 p.m. on Halloween. This show is a fundraiser for POC youth to attend Circus Smirkus camp. Watch the show trailer at this link and RSVP at the Facebook event page.
- Check out the short film Dans Tes Rêve, part of the American Ballet Theatre’s recent online film festival. Dancer and juggler Claire Davison produced this imaginative silent film take on the obstacles variety artists are facing during the pandemic. See this film at 22 minutes into this YouTube link.
- Happenstance Theater is streaming a filmed version of their 2019 production Cabaret Macabre, a darkly comedic series of hilariously devastating vignettes based on the stories and illustrations of Edward Gorey. Visit their website to rent the video, which you can stream for a full week!
- Happenstance Theater’s charismatic and talented clown duo, Pinot and Augustine, will perform two live, socially-distanced shows at Joe’s Movement Emporium. Visit this link to snag in-person (or online) tickets to the 2 p.m. or 6 p.m. performance.
- The Graveyard Show by Quark Circus invites you to a ‘bootstrapped, backyard, socially distant circus show about grief, death and healing.’ This production will present four live shows in Alexandria on October 17th and 18th. You can also watch the show online (edited and released just before Halloween) on October 30th.Tickets for the in-person and online editions are available at this link.
- Purchase a ticket to the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Gala, online on Saturday, October 17th at 5 p.m. This fundraising event features a virtual tea party, live circus and variety performances, and an online auction for workshops in professional development, circus equipment and more! Support the Bindlestiffs extraordinary support of artists during the pandemic, as well as their commitment to the next generation of circus artists through their annual Calvalcade of Youth event.