This month has plenty of scintillating circus surprises in store for you. Scroll now to get your calendar in order (or chaos… whichever you prefer).
- Today, The District Ringer brings you the final edition of The Covid Chronicles, catching up with TSNY-DC general manager Mandy Keithan, who tells us how the trapeze school in Navy Yard has reopened and rebuilt their class offerings around the challenges of 2020. Read the story here.
- See the next generation of circus artists perform during the Circadium Virtual Gala from 7:30-10 p.m. EST. This live production features current students at the school of contemporary circus in Philadelphia. Tickets benefit Circadium, the only school offering higher education in circus arts in the United States. Buy tickets here and check out the silent auction, with items including aerial silks, moving sculptures, circus face masks and more!
- The Bindlestiff Open Stage Variety Show: Quarantine Edition starts at 8 p.m. EST. Watch on Facebook or YouTube. You can donate during the show at the links provided, or support their fantastic feats of circus anytime via the donation page on their website.
- See the online premiere of On Beckett/In Screen, an award-winning production conceived and performed by Bill Irwin, whose commanding acting and clowning skills bring playwright Samuel Beckett’s works to life on the digital screen. The show runs through November 22. Reserve your timed viewing spot at this link.
- Meet the Jugglers is a brand new interview series hosted by Pearls of Juggling. The first live chat — with Mexican club and contact juggler Santi Malabari — will take place at 11:30 a.m. EST on the Pearls of Juggling Facebook page.
- Don’t miss an online screening of Cirque Du Cambodia, available throughout the weekend (11/20-22). This gripping documentary follows circus artists Sopha and Dina on their journey from 2011-2018, attending a social circus program in their home country, then École Nationale de Cirque to achieve their lifelong dream of performing in Cirque du Soleil. Visit this link to purchase a ticket, which supports the stars of the film as well as the circus program they grew up in.
- The finals of Battle Night USA will start at 8:30 p.m. EST. Watch as some of the best three-club jugglers in the nation throw down their smoothest, spiciest and most technical sequences in this action-packed head-to-head format. Who will be crowned the campeon/campeona de los Estados Unidos? Find out by visiting the Battle Night Facebook page for the Zoom link, or watch on the Unicirclo Laguna YouTube channel.
- Enjoy a casual demonstration of airborne straddles, whips, gazelles and layouts during the TSNY Staff Flying Trapeze Demo from 7-7:45 p.m. on Facebook live. Visit the event page for more details.
- Check out Rise: A Virtual Performance, an ensemble aerial dance performance that tackles the challenges of 2020 from In the Wings aerial studio in Boulder, Colorado. The show will be available for online viewing 11/20-22 and 11/27-29. Visit the Facebook event page for tickets.
- Marvel at some of Maine’s best performers in The Matt Tardy Benefit Show, a fundraiser for juggler and variety artist Matthew Tardy, who is battling Stage 4 thyroid cancer. The line-up includes Michael Menes, Fritz Grobe, Jason Tardy, Michael Miclon, George Saterial and Showtime Steve, sure to delight audiences of all ages. The show will be livestreamed from Johnson Hall at 7 p.m. Visit this link for tickets.
- The DC Unicycle Meetup group is hosting an all-levels practice session from 5:30-6:30 p.m. EST at Volta Park in Georgetown. Visit their page to reserve a spot, and let them know if you need to borrow a unicycle.
- Dancer, pole artist and burlesque performer Eva Mystique just opened Studio Mystique in Northwest D.C. Visit her website to register for private lessons in pole, burlesque, belly dance, chair and floor work. The studio is also available to artists looking to rent a space for photo shoots, rehearsals and virtual performances.