Read today’s edition of The District Ringer for a window into the golden era of touring circus shows during the 1918 influenza epidemic. Charlotte’s research leads us to ponder how much risk circus workers were assuming by going ahead with shows in Charleston, South Carolina, and how these employees handled an uncertain future at the end of their season.
- Battle Night is a jaw-dropping showcase of high-energy technical and artistic club juggling by eight competitors, only one of whom can be crowned champion. Much like breakdance battles, jugglers are judged on their originality, style and musicality. Watch on Zoom at this link, or stream it on the Unicirclo Laguna YouTube channel. The event starts at 8:30 p.m. EDT.
- The Bindlestiff Open Stage Variety Show: Quarantine Edition is back! Behold the marvelous talents of a worldly cast of performers, presented weekly for your entertainment (and generous tips). The show stars at 8 p.m. EDT. Watch on Facebook or YouTube. You can donate during the show at the links provided, or support their fantastic feats of circus anytime via the donation page on their website.
- Little Salon DC, a multi-disciplinary arts event usually hosted in a DC home, is going virtual. This month’s evening of entertainment coincides with DC Design Week, with the line-up including a puppet show by Alex & Olmsted, R&B by BOOMscat, spoken word by Charity Blackwell and a cocktail lesson with bartender Frank Mills. Snag free tickets at this link. ‘Doors’ open at 7:15 p.m. and the show begins at 7:30 p.m.
- The Hideaway Circus podcast spoke to Yaron Lifschitz, artistic director of the acrobatic Australian circus company CIRCA, for their latest episode, which highlights circus shows happening in spite of the pandemic. This edition also profiles the junkyard-inspired production Salvage City in Las Vegas and Chicago’s Midnight Circus.
- Flashepoint Simulation, a fire and flow festival happening October 9th-11th on Zoom and Twitch, is now accepting applications from musicians, performers, instructors and vendors. Fill out this Google form by Tuesday (9/15) at noon to perform in their live-streamed shows, teach a workshop, DJ an event or sell your wares.