Get in the spirit of fall (and the spirit of VOTING) with these incredible upcoming circus events and opportunities.
- Remember live entertainment? That peculiar ritual we humans used to enjoy in theaters and music halls, bars and circus tents? Learn how live circus is reentering the atmosphere as The District Ringer talks to Elizabeth Finn, producer of The Graveyard Show, a (sold out) socially distant production appearing this weekend in Alexandria, then online on October 30th.
- Battle Night USA (#2) kicks off at 8:30 p.m. EDT with eight competitors flexing their grooviest three-club juggling sequences in a breakdance-style head-to-head format. This amazing series of online battles is hosted by Unicirclo Laguna and Club Motion. Visit the Facebook page for the Zoom link, or view on the Unicirclo Laguna YouTube channel.
- Purchase a ticket to the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Gala, online at 5 p.m. This fundraising event features a virtual tea party, live circus and variety performances, and an online auction for workshops in professional development, circus equipment and more. The Bindlestiffs have supported so many circus and variety artists during the pandemic, so it’s time to return the favor in a big way!
- The Bindlestiff Open Stage Variety Show: Quarantine Edition starts at 8 p.m. EDT. Behold the marvelous talents of a worldly cast of performers, presented weekly for your entertainment (and generous tips). Watch on Facebook or YouTube. You can donate during the show at the links provided, or support their fantastic feats of circus anytime via the donation page on their website.
- The Graveyard Show by Quark Circus invites you to a ‘bootstrapped, backyard, socially distant circus show about grief, death and healing.’ This production, filmed in Alexandria in mid-October, will be edited for an online showing (featuring a live emcee) on October 30th at 8 p.m. The show addresses themes of grief, death and healing, but is appropriate for all ages.Tickets are available at this link.
- Plague Tales is the latest online streaming creation from Florida-based troupe Phantasmagoria. This show, available to stream October 30th-Nov. 2nd, takes viewers on a dark journey of haunted stories told through dance, fire arts, aerial, stage combat, puppetry and much more. Recommended for ages 8+. Find more information at this link.
- Search for Sumatra, a circus collective based in Vermont, is hosting an encore presentation of their show Manxome Foes at 7 p.m. on Halloween. This show is a fundraiser for POC youth to attend Circus Smirkus camp. Watch the show trailer at this link and RSVP at the Facebook event page.
- The Kennedy Center’s Digital Stage recently featured an archived performance by the Tianqian Beijing Acrobats, including amazing hat manipulation amidst feats of daring gymnastics. Watch this and other great performances at this link.
- Busk the Ballot is inviting street performers to sign up for shifts of ‘boredom-busting busking’ to entertain voters lining up at polling places across the country. Visit their website to learn more and to bring some joy to the determined souls exercising their civic duty. Sidenote: is everybody registered to vote?
- Grab tickets forAutumn Revival: An Intimate Campout with Friends, a two-day social gathering (at a physical distance) hosted at Ramblewood Resort in Havre de Grace, Md. Activities include music, LED dance performances, workshops, live art, games and more. The organizers will be doing temperature checks and enforcing mask-wearing and strict distancing throughout the event.Get more information and register at the Facebook event page.