Today in The District Ringer, find out how the Ringling Bros touring circus dealt with the influenza epidemic of 1918. Charlotte’s well-researched and fascinating history offers us a chance to wonder how those in the ‘golden age’ of circus would’ve handled Covid-19. Thanks to our Patreon supporters for making these articles a reality!
- CIMAC Valparaíso is an annual circus/juggling festival in Mexico, held entirely online this year and featuring workshops, talks and shows. While many of the events are in Spanish, the topics — clowning, dance, juggling — should translate to some degree. Visit the Facebook event page for the latest.
- Pacific Fire Gathering is producing online events throughout the month of September. Stay tuned to their Facebook page for updates on how to get involved in the virtual format of one of the longest-running flow/fire events in the country.
- Headless Cabaret will present its final summer show at 1 p.m. EDT. This Europe-based production is viewable on YouTube (where you can also watch their previous shows) and supports artists who have lost work during the global pandemic. Visit their Facebook page for more info about how to donate.
- Enjoy a live show on Zoom featuring four dancers and circus artists to delight and amaze you at Cocktail Cirquantine @Home. Shows are at 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. EDT. There will be an artist talk-back following the 7:30 p.m. show. Guests are invited to dress up and turn on their cameras to join the fun! Tickets are pay-what-you-can at this link. You will receive the event link after you purchase your ticket.
- The Internet Streaming Early Evening Show is now selling a limited number of in-person tickets for their popular variety/music/talk show. If you don’t happen to live in Maine, fear not! You can still watch this quarantine favorite online by purchasing a virtual ticket at this link. The show runs from 7-8:30 p.m. and is fun for the whole family.
- Jugglers Joe Fisher, Byron Hutton and Richard Sullivan just released their entertaining video Ring-ins on YouTube, featuring numerous ways to throw a ball through a ring, or ring through a ball? You may question reality after watching this.
- CircusTalk has an incredible list of upcoming panel discussions coming up in the next month. Visit this link to register for Circus Presenters and Producers on Planning for the Future, happening on Zoom on September 7th at 8 a.m. EDT. See the full line-up of events in the ‘Circus and Changing Realities’ series at here.
- Sponsor Cirque Us, a New England-based circus education and entertainment company, by subscribing for $3-25/month on their Patreon page. Any tier of support gives you access to their online tutorial series, as well as other exclusive content. The September tutorial mini-series is ‘Do The Splits’ with Rena Dimes.