Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts – Vienna, Virginia
Approximate Salary: Not Specified
Date Posted: September 30, 2019
Wolf Trap Foundation presents leading artists in Rock, Pop, Indie, Jazz, Broadway and Classical at the 7,028 capacity amphitheatre The Filene Center, located in America’s only National Park for the Performing Arts, as well as Rock, Pop, Indie, Jazz, Folk, World, Cabaret, and Comedy at the 382 capacity theatre The Barns at Wolf Trap located next to our Center for Education. We seek a Production Manager to manage all aspects of day-to-day concert production in order to ensure successful performances, across all Wolf Trap Foundation assigned spaces.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Filene Center:
- Advance technical production aspects of all touring shows and in-house productions at The Filene Center and Children’s Theater-in-the-Woods, including sound, lights, video and crew/personnel requirements.
- Collaborate with visiting performing groups to ensure their production needs are planned for and accomplished within the parameters of Wolf Trap.
- Study technical riders, light plots, electrical requirements, and hanging plots as to the complexity and feasibility of hanging a road show or local production in the facility. Also, provide solutions that work to the benefit of the facility and the show.
- Maintain lighting plots, ground plains, elevations, and section drawings of the Filene Center in Vectorworks and AutoCad.
- Create production summaries, daily schedules and stage plots as needed for all assigned concerts.
- Rent backline, production equipment and instruments as needed for all assigned concerts.
- Share in production management performance duty, including nights and weekends.
- Supervise IATSE stagehands during performances, ensuring Wolf Trap Foundation is adhering to both the union contract and performance budget.
- Monitor show quality control, including adhering to house db level, sightlines, etc.
- Manage and oversee preseason production installation and season closing by IATSE at the Filene Center.
- Create labor and production cost estimates for performances, theatrical productions and special events.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationship with the National Symphony Orchestra artistic and production teams.
- Coordinate and communicate information related to seat holds and kills for performances at the Filene Center.
- Assist Director of Production, The Filene Center in hiring of variable sound engineers for Children’s Theater-in-the-Woods performances.
- Assist Director of Production, the Filene Center on all maintenance and capital improvement projects; research and recommend projects while working within a budget and timeline. Assist with preparation of weekly IATSE payroll, as needed.
- Maintain inventory system for production equipment.
- Maintain safe working conditions and procedures for staff and during shows.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Operate as production technician, assisting Director of Production, The Barns with show Load-In / Load-Out, setting of the stage before and after performances, and working as A2 or LD on assigned shows.
- Advance technical production aspects of touring shows as assigned by Director of Production, The Barns.
- Assist Director of Production, The Barns on all maintenance and capital improvement projects; research and recommend projects while working within a budget and timeline.
- Assist Director of Production, The Barns in hiring of variable sound engineers and lighting designers.
- Work with the Special Events department to provide technical/production information, rental and crew costs.
- Share in production responsibilities on the Foundation events and meetings held in The Barns and Center for Education.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s degree preferred; minimum 5-7 years working with light, sound, and AV production in a convention center, arena, theater or road show environment
- Minimum 5 years management experience
- Demonstrated experience in stage management technical direction, scenery construction, sound reinforcement and lighting
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have strong working knowledge of facility management, equipment stage craft, theatrical production as well as a strong attention to details and ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be able to read technical drawings, lighting/audio plots, and Ground & Rigging plans
- Must have a working knowledge in Auto CAD and/or Vectorworks
- Demonstrated knowledge of modern digital and analog production sound, lighting and AV technologies
- Ability to read and implement technical riders for stage presentations
- Must have strong problem-solving skills and the ability to create solutions when there is a change in plans
- Demonstrated understanding of union environments including the ability to understand and interpret union contracts, resolve disputes and manage workers in a consistent and fair manner.
- Proven leadership and project management ability in the performing arts
- Must pass a background check
- Sensitivity and commitment to the mission of Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts
Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.