From your UP-dater-in-chief: I’m so grateful for those of you who take the time to read this humble message each week and who keep our circus community alive and well in the DMV. Right here, in the heart of the nation’s capital, you can be thankful for the performers, practitioners, instructors and producers who daily keep our collective gears turning. If you’re reading this, you surely fit into one of those categories, so… THANKS!
Tomorrow (11/23) look for a movie theater near you to see a live HD simulcast of the Metropolitan Opera’s production of Akhnaten. This story of an ancient Egyptian pharaoh features a virtuosic company of jugglers from Gandini Juggling, who punctuate the hypnotic score by Philip Glass throughout the performance. If you squint, you may even recognize your listserv author sending subliminal juggling messages worldwide. Find your nearest screening location by visiting this link.
Regarding circus classes, we are in no short supply! Check the classes page of the our website for a full listing, but here are a few highlights:
- Dody DiSanto’s Center for Movement Theatre in Northwest DC offers exemplary clown and physical theater training from a master of her craft who trained in Paris with Jacques Lecoq. Her next classes are Corporeal Clinic (Tuesday nights January 7th-February 11th) and Clown 2: Get Inside the Ruckus! (January 18th-19th). Visit the Center’s website for more information.
- Instructors of all disciplines lead multi-level classes in flying trapeze, aerial, juggling, trampoline and partner balancing at the Trapeze School New York’s DC location. Visit their website to register.
- Monarca in Flight in Falls Church is a great place to learn aerial, flexibility, movement and other circus skills in a fun and supportive environment. Visit their website to see what’s coming up next.
- In the Dark Circus Arts holds several circus classes in aerial, conditioning and cyr wheel throughout the week at Baltimore’s Mobtown Ballroom. Check out Mobtown’s website for the full list of classes.
- Shawn Stone’s Movement Graffiti class on Thursdays at Joe’s Movement Emporium from 6:30-8 p.m. The choreography and techniques of this class are geared toward all skill levels, and will help to improve your practice and performance in any discipline. Sign up at this link.
As November draws to a close, look forward to some divine circus shows in December!
Buy tickets today to Nutterween, a playful and circusy take on the classic Nutcracker story, appearing at Joe’s Movement Emporium on December 8th at 6 p.m. This show is produced by the talented and creative team at UpSpring Studio. Get tickets at this link.
See also in circus/nutcracker riffs: Troupe Vertigo will present Cirque Nutcracker, December 12th at the The Music Center at Strathmore in Bethesda (tickets) and December 13th-15th at the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore (tickets).
Discover brilliant moments of acrobatics, cartoon-style imagery and clownish humor based on Akira Kurosawa’s epic film The Seven Samurai at 7(x1) Samurai, a show conceived and performed by David Gaines December 21st-22nd at Baltimore Theatre Project. See tickets and showtimes at this link.
Juggling meet-ups in the coming week include:
- Juggling class at TSNY-DC will happen on Sunday (11/24) at 1:30 p.m., and you can also take advantage of their open juggling sessions on Fridays from 6-7 p.m. Register at this link.